User Tag List

Thread: The Final Four

The Final Four

The Final 4 Doolitle Raider have met probably for the final time. When I was a kid (yes there were dinosaurs), we lived on the flight path for Wright Patterson AFB. Back then it was a very warm cold warm so all hours of the day and night all the B-52's and KC's would roar off rattling my room. When they came back their landing lights would light up my room which I thought was very cool. One night I ran out to see the Valykyrie. In the dark, it looked (and is) huge. The roar of all those engines rattled everything but it never took off again. B-36's were still around and they had a very low run out, sometimes you could see the wheels working up. But one day, I heard a rumble I had never heard before, There, over the roof top came 5 of the Doolittle Raiders. I went insane and every kid waved himself silly and sure enough the last one, gave a wing waggle which was way beyond anything I could imagine. I got to go out to Wright Pat and actually talk to some of these guys (as much as a stuttering kid could) and they let me crawl around the plane.
    On today, when we remember heroes, these guys were real heroes. All knew it was one way, all know that the target was "somewhere that way" and they had to offload some gas. Besides doing something never done before (taking off from an aircraft carrier) they may not have done major damage but they sure scared the wits out of the Japs. Our OPSEC President said they had flown from "Shangrila". I wonder what the bozo we have now would babble besides how the entire thing was his idea.

Of all, those guys were heroes. Many died very bad deaths at the hands of folks we buy cars from now. They were the ultimate aviators.

Schnappi,

Great story and absolutely spot-on assessment.

These guys were seriously large-testicled individuals. They all volunteered for a TOP SECRET hazardous mission and when they learned the nature of the job and were given an opportunity to back out, none did.

They weren't home writing books before the war was over either.

Thanks, Schnappi.

Thor

PS Any new models soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Schnappi View Post
    The Final 4 Doolitle Raider have met probably for the final time. When I was a kid (yes there were dinosaurs), we lived on the flight path for Wright Patterson AFB. Back then it was a very warm cold warm so all hours of the day and night all the B-52's and KC's would roar off rattling my room. When they came back their landing lights would light up my room which I thought was very cool. One night I ran out to see the Valykyrie. In the dark, it looked (and is) huge. The roar of all those engines rattled everything but it never took off again. B-36's were still around and they had a very low run out, sometimes you could see the wheels working up. But one day, I heard a rumble I had never heard before, There, over the roof top came 5 of the Doolittle Raiders. I went insane and every kid waved himself silly and sure enough the last one, gave a wing waggle which was way beyond anything I could imagine. I got to go out to Wright Pat and actually talk to some of these guys (as much as a stuttering kid could) and they let me crawl around the plane.
    On today, when we remember heroes, these guys were real heroes. All knew it was one way, all know that the target was "somewhere that way" and they had to offload some gas. Besides doing something never done before (taking off from an aircraft carrier) they may not have done major damage but they sure scared the wits out of the Japs. Our OPSEC President said they had flown from "Shangrila". I wonder what the bozo we have now would babble besides how the entire thing was his idea.

Of all, those guys were heroes. Many died very bad deaths at the hands of folks we buy cars from now. They were the ultimate aviators.
    Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!

Check out the story about the Doolittle Raiders here:

http://pitsnipesgripes.blogspot.com/...e-raiders.html
    I intend to fly until my beard gets caught in the propeller. And since I don't plan on growing a beard, that may be a while. Ernest K. Gann, age 69

Daily Diatribe - (Carl's Blog)