User Tag List

100 Students Kicked off Air Tran Flight...

100 Students Ejected From NYC-to-Atlanta Flight

By DAVID B. CARUSO Associated Press
    NEW YORK June 5, 2013 (AP)

A group of about 100 high school students traveling from New York to Atlanta were thrown off a flight, along with their chaperones, after the pilot and crew lost patience with some kids who wouldn't sit down and put away their cellphones.

The teenagers, all seniors at the Yeshiva of Flatbush, in Brooklyn, were ordered off the AirTran flight around 6 a.m. Monday as it sat at a gate at LaGuardia Airport.

AirTran's parent company, Southwest Airlines, said in a statement that flight attendants asked passengers several times to take their seats and put their mobile devices away. The airline said that when some didn't comply, the captain repeated the request. When that didn't work, READ MORE
    Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!

Personally, I'm with the crew on this one.

If they had to ask the Captain to make an announcement, it was out of hand.

If he then decided they needed to get off the plane, for sure it was out of control.

No captain would do that likely.
    Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!

I've had a group of students get rowdy before, but it was too late to kick them off. A group of middle-school girls got into a food fight when we were well inside the marker for runway 28 in Atlanta. The captain and I thought it was a violent event of some sort in back. I had the crash axe in my hand before we cleared the runway... A quick call to the back and we all were shaking our heads. The first five rows were in a big food fight with pretzels, biscoff cookies and whatever candy they'd brought aboard. The parents just beamed with pride at what beautiful princesses they had as they deplaned at the gate, each step grinding sugary bits into the carpet.

You know, my kids have never been allowed to misbehave like that in my presences.

I don't pretend that mine are angels by any stretch and we've had our share of (minor) disciplinary events but there is no way, and it has never happened, that I stand by and watch them disrupt the "peaceful enjoyment" of other people.

The parents should be flogged.

The crew was just doing their jobs, and those kids should have their phones confiscated by the airline.

*raises an eyebrow* I don't have any kids, but this definitely would not have "flown" by me!
    Hagar likes boats. I like airplanes!