User Tag List

Luftwaffe Recon over New York City!

The Most Dangerous Photo-Recon Mission of World War II

By Jim Newsom U.S.A.

Name:  ScreenHunter_18-Mar.-11-20.21.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  52.3 KB

On August 27th 1943, a German Luftwaffe long-range photo reconnaissance bomber, a Junkers Ju-390 took off from its base in Norway and flew out across the Atlantic Ocean. Among its four man crew was a brave and daring woman Anna Kreisling, the ‘White Wolf of the Luftwaffe’. A nickname she had acquired because of her frost blonde hair and icy blue eyes. Anna was one of the top pilots in Germany and even though she was only the co-pilot on this mission, her flying ability was crucial to its success.
    The Ju-390 was twice the size of the B-29 Superfortress. It was powered by six 1,500 hp BMW radial engines and it had a range of 18,000 miles without refuelling.
    This was to be the longest photo-recon mission flown by an enemy airplane in World War II. Nine hours later, the Junkers was over Canada and swinging south at an altitude of 22,000 feet. In the next few hours, Read More

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2011/03/11/86523/
    Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!

I've read of Special OPS flights from Germany to Turkey during WWII with the Ju 290 but never about its six engined Ju 390 iteration on a recon mission over North America.

But considering a Fw 200 flew direct against the wind from Berlin to NY before WWII and the cavernous fuselage of the Ju 390 if used to carry fuel ( and oil! ) it doesn't seem technically imposible. Following the links, there's is some info on the presumed lady copilot test flying Horten flying wings too.