User Tag List

Regional Airline Maintenance

Check out this article on airline maintenance...

http://www.skyviking.net/content.php...nance-Anecdote
    Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!

Having worked both sides of that fence, I've got a whole black book of stories, penned in late-night and early-morning downtime, smudged in grease and brake dust. The regional business model is one based on thin profit margins and fighting for low-bidder status with their mainline partners. Thus, they try and squeeze every bit of return on every penny they invest. The problem, though, is one of losing dollars while saving pennies - our accounting department seems to see no difference between cost and value.

It's not just my company, and it's not just our industry. It seems to be the "New American Way," or possibly even a new global economic mentality. Couple that with a legal department more afraid of a discrimination lawsuit than a 76-family lawsuit in the wake of an accident, and you've got a dangerous combination.

Hey PP,

Thanks for checking in on this. I'm sure you've seen as much or more of the same.

And you're right. It is the New American Way.

Sad to see.

Is there any way to reduce the trend?
    I intend to fly until my beard gets caught in the propeller. And since I don't plan on growing a beard, that may be a while. Ernest K. Gann, age 69

Daily Diatribe - (Carl's Blog)

I regret that the vast majority of my experience with Aviation Maintenance has been (unless something is obviously broken) them trying to convince me it's not broken, really it works that way normally (like nosewheel shimmy, etc.), oh why did you have to write that up?, or just to defer the problem for the max amount of time allowed.

Way back when, I wrote up an attitude gyro for precessing excessively (literally "listing" to starboard about 30 degrees after a steep turn) and the corrective action was "could not reproduce the problem on the ground!" When I wrote it up the second time, I got scolded by the director of maintenance because, he complained, "Now the DCA is going to wonder why we're not fixing it." I did not score any points when I replied, "That makes two of us. I'm kinda wondering why you're not fixing it too!"

Recently I have to either write it up enough times they can't avoid addressing the problem or simply refuse to take the aircraft until it's fixed, which cause other perturbations in the force.

Sure wish it was different...
    Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!