User Tag List

Don't EVER Mess with a FAC!

Messing With A Fac
    Messing with Forward Air Controllers

Written by: James C. Harton Jr.

One of the best things about being in the gun platoon was the sense of superiority we felt over all things living. I mean, you take the age of each individual flying in a light fire team, add them up, and then divide by the amount of rockets aboard both ships, the rounds of 7.62 and 40 mm, and then subdivide by the pounds of fuel; and the sum result is the average age of maturity aboard the aircraft.

And then, the rules we lived by didn't particularly cause a certain conservative lifestyle. Let's see...

Rule 1: You can have all the ammo you want.

Rule 2: The vast areas that you will fly over are considered your domain, where you are free to kill and burn as you want.

Rule 3: The two aircraft together are worth over $1,000,000. If you break them, we will give you brand new ones.

So anyway, here we were cruising down life's highway -- actually Highway 13. I had my doorgun unhooked from the bungee, barrel out and laying on the floor, as did my gunner. My feet were up on the cabin bulkhead; and I was slumped down, smoking a cigarette, drinking a beer from the cooler, and listening to rock and roll on AFVN via the ADF radio ... probably pretty much like I would have been doing at home in my 64 Chevy SS; but in this case, we were six feet off the highway, doing 90 knots, and trying to run cyclo carts into the ditches. I casually glanced over at my gunner in time to see him sit up and stare out to the right front of the aircraft.

Read more
    Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!

I remember a couple guys who would have gotten a good laugh out of this story.

RIP C & C.
    I intend to fly until my beard gets caught in the propeller. And since I don't plan on growing a beard, that may be a while. Ernest K. Gann, age 69

Daily Diatribe - (Carl's Blog)