User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Straight-Tailed Cessna 172

My favorite of the "Wichita SPAM Cans." When I first began flying, a local county commissioner let me use his 1957 Cessna 172 for lessons. I kept it polished, he let me fly it once a month. We both won.

Fast forward 15 years. I do some wrenching for a friend, and he bought this 172 on a whim of sorts. He saw it on the bulletin board when he made a fuel stop, and bought it on his way back through town. Heck of a bargain. He had a friend in mind whom he thought was looking for just such a plane. Turns out, she wasn't interested after all.

Anyway. I got to help limp her home after the starter shaft sheared off and we had the engine out for a metal contamination inspection. After putting her back together, I flew her partway home.

Name:  IMG_0802.jpg
Views: 2080
Size:  87.0 KB
    These old 172s are lighter than any later models. Thus, with no more than 145 horsepower, they actually climb as well as their more powerful, newer counterparts.

Name:  IMG_0804.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0806.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0808.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0810.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  95.7 KB

So, the owner hung a "For Sale" sign on her this week. Anyone else ever played with one of these? Bang for your buck can't be beat!

A handsome looking plane, PP.

Is it still for sale?
    Hagar likes boats. I like airplanes!

As far as I know, it is. I think it's got a $24K pricetag on it. I'll dig up details and post 'em here, provided Thor doesn't mind the use of a thread as a classified...

Since the lady asked, lightning will not strike you if you post the details...

Last edited by Thor; September 6th, 2013 at 21:36.
    Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!

You guys are sooooo sweet!

Thanks, Pasturepilot.

It looks nice but the ship needs a new set of sails and as you know, the boy's toys always come first.

;-)

Pasturepilot,

No more super airplane adventures or bargain aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    Pasturepilot,

No more super airplane adventures or bargain aircraft?
    I flew this bird today. She's still for sale. Still a bargain.

But I'm holding out for something without that nose gear thing hanging off the front.

Good choice.

Me too.

I ended up with some close and very good friends after a yellow Citabria lured me down for a visit to Georgia.

I'm thinking that will do fine (the Citabria, not necessarily a yellow one).

;-)
    I intend to fly until my beard gets caught in the propeller. And since I don't plan on growing a beard, that may be a while. Ernest K. Gann, age 69

Daily Diatribe - (Carl's Blog)