User Tag List

You Are The Backup To Safety Enhancing Aircraft Avionics

You Are The Backup To Safety Enhancing Aircraft Avionics

By Thomas P. Turner

There's no going back—we are in an era of high-tech avionics and cockpit automation. Even some LSAs are sporting "glass" cockpits and simple autopilots; cross-country airplanes sport panels and equipment unheard of even in high-end turbines scant years ago, and the turbines themselves are becoming more accessible to owner-pilots. Even the most capable of these airplanes, however, has its automation limitations. Proper operation and constant monitoring of automated systems remains the responsibility of well-trained and emergency-current pilots.

See the rest at: http://www.aviationsafetymagazine.co...novations.html
    Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!

This article by Dennis Landry entitled "Automation Addiction" is also germane to this discussion. Read it here: Automation Addiction

The manual flying skills discussion thread also relates: Manual Flight Skills
    Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!

Now the transition from "flying and airplane" to "managing a flight" is made in smaller and smaller aircraft...
    I intend to fly until my beard gets caught in the propeller. And since I don't plan on growing a beard, that may be a while. — Ernest K. Gann, age 69

Daily Diatribe - (Carl's Blog)

I am thankful every day that I learned to fly in a 1965 Champion Citabria (N11080, may she rest in pieces, er, I mean peace).

It had a radio that worked sometimes and a transponder that never worked. When I took my private pilot check ride, the only slightly eccentric examiner was kind enough to let me "demonstrate" my ability to track a VOR radial using my handheld radio. (No way he could see the display from the back seat).

I miss that plane.

Myself, I'm coveting a high country explorer but the lady says we need a house first...
    I intend to fly until my beard gets caught in the propeller. And since I don't plan on growing a beard, that may be a while. — Ernest K. Gann, age 69

Sure wish we could get a discussion going about this topic...

automated systems remains the responsibility of well-trained and emergency-current pilots.
    Last edited by Carl; April 24th, 2016 at 06:23.

The advances in avionics would have been inconceivable even 25 years ago.

Nonetheless, the requirement for the pilot to be Master of the aircraft, with or without all the gee-whiz electronics, remains.