User Tag List

Manual Flight Skill Maintenance and YOU

We've just published an article by Dennis Landry about how the use of automation in the cockpit causes degradation of manual flight skills, skills that might be needed in an emergency. Captain Landry makes some great suggestions on how to recover and maintain those critical skills.

The article is in the Forum section (see the button above) or just click this link: http://www.skyviking.net/content.php...enance-and-YOU

FAA SAFO 13002 Manual Skill Maintenance and YOU
    By: Dennis Landry, Pilot

The FAA issued a Safe Aircraft Flight Operations bulleting regarding manual flight skills and the need to maintain manual skill proficiency. This bulletin was prompted by the change in flying practices we have all experienced during the conversion from older analog non automated flight operations “Steam gauges” to today’s highly sophisticated Flight ...

Read More
    I intend to fly until my beard gets caught in the propeller. And since I don't plan on growing a beard, that may be a while. — Ernest K. Gann, age 69

Daily Diatribe - (Carl's Blog)

Just two days ago, my friend and mentor (and co-captain at the time) gave me an exercise in just this area.

We were taking off from Phuket (VMC) and during climb out, he "failed" the Flight Director (FD) and directed me to fly the departure raw data.

Surprising me, I managed to keep the airplane right side up and following the Standard Instrument Departure (SID) closely enough that my shortcomings did not draw the attention of Air Traffic Control (ATC).

It took a large percentage of my available attention to do it but it went pretty well.

I was just silently congratulating myself on my success when he pointed out the REAL purpose of the exercise (the failed FD was only what the FAA would call a "reasonable distraction"). He had also only pretended to turn on the sinchrophaser which in this ship causes the N1's speeds to read several degrees higher than they actually are. Very real looking overspeed indication without any damage to the engines or "report card" to the Digital Electronic Engine Control (DEEC) memories.

Anyway, he gently called my attention to the itty bitty little N1 numbers on my multifunction display (MFD) which were blinking in red

102.3%

Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!

A question for Dennis.

How much interest do you find among pilots for maintaining manual flight skills.

I have to say that a good number of pilots I used to fly with wondered aloud why I was hand flying as much as I did.

Last week I had a conversation with a friend who used to fly Dash-8's as first officer for a regional carrier. He like to hand fly during climb out as well but he lamented that the vast majority of captains he flew with would actually direct him to turn on the autopilot.

Just wondering about what you see in your flying. Are pilots generally receptive to the idea of practicing these skills?

I'd love to hear about the experience of other pilots as well.
    Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!

Hi Dennis here, First answer, When I developed the "Automation Addiction project between 2002 and 2005 I was a A320 Captain flying 3 or 4 day domestic trips with 3 or more legs per day. Currently I fly as a Captain on B747 long haul operations and getting 3 T/L every 90 days is a challenge. Most pilots I fly with are very aware of the challenges of maintaining flying skills. The majority of pilots I fly with and demonstrate the manual skill exercises feel they are of value. Some have asked other Captains to allow them to hand fly above 10K with the AP,ATH, and FD off. The response for other Captains has been similar to what you and your friend have encountered. Most Captains are very risk adverse and the prospect of de-automation presents a higher workload and risk. Without understating the benefits of manual skill maintenance it is not surprising that they would not condone any manual skill efforts.
    Question for you and the other readers. When you were "Hand flying" was the Flight Director and or Auto Thrust ON or OFF?

aeronaut,

Thanks for checking in.

I can't answer for my friend except to give him another gentle "tickle" to check in on the forum... (I don't think the Dash-8's he flew had autothrottles, however).

For me, I can say that when I first started doing it I was Captain on the Saab 340 and I didn't get much flak from the FO's except the ones whose only "real" aviation experience was as CFI. Those guys were forever telling me what to do. Thankfully for them, I have a real sweet disposition. <grin>

My most recent gig is in a corporate jet without auto throttles. FD was off in the exercise above but with the other pilots, I don't turn it off because frankly, it would wig them out. Nothing wigs my buddy out so when we fly together we are free to practice anything we like that's legal and safe.

I'm real interested in getting into long-haul flying but it's hard to imagine a job where they consider sending you to the sim for landings every 90 days because your line flying doesn't offer enough...

Well I see Simon has registered but has yet to chime in...

Simon?
    I intend to fly until my beard gets caught in the propeller. And since I don't plan on growing a beard, that may be a while. — Ernest K. Gann, age 69

Daily Diatribe - (Carl's Blog)