User Tag List

Altitude and Airspeed - What controls them?

One school says that power (thrust) controls airspeed and the elevator controls altitude.

Another says that the elevator controls airspeed and thrust controls altitude.

So which is it?
    Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!

My friend, Captain John, who is a squillion hour 747 Captain and big jet instructor says unequivocally that thrust controls airspeed and pitch controls altitude.

When met with an opposing opinion, he has been known to sit on the ground pushing the yoke forward and back. When the observer asks, "What are you doing?" he replies, "I'm trying to get some airspeed!"

This kind of argument seems to me like the "crane" maneuver from Karate Kid ("no can defense") so it must be right.

Right?

And after all, Captain John has all those hours so he should know, right?
    I intend to fly until my beard gets caught in the propeller. And since I don't plan on growing a beard, that may be a while. Ernest K. Gann, age 69

Daily Diatribe - (Carl's Blog)

Well I'd say your Captain John wouldn't get any altitude either unless he added some thrust!

We've all learned that the elevator is a device for controlling angle of attack.

Airspeed is an indirect indication of angle of attack.

Ergo, the elevator is the airspeed control.
    Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you're unworthy... of the loved ones you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the name of my father and his father before, I, Odin Allfather, cast you out!